These instructions were actually used on a test VM running Server 2012 R2.
You will need the Windows Server installation disc or any ERD that will allow you to get to the C:\Windows\System32\ folder and rename/copy some files.
If using the Installation disc:
- Boot from the installation disc.
- Click Next after the Windows Setup screen appears.
- Select the “Repair your computer” option at the bottom.
- Select Troubleshoot.
- Select “Command Prompt”.
- Navigate to the C:\Windows\System32\ folder.
- Rename the sethc.exe file:
ren sethc.exe sethc.ex
- Make a copy of the cmd.exe file using the sethc.exe name:
copy cmd.exe sethc.exe
- Restart and boot to Windows Server.
- At the Login screen, press the Shift key 5 times, the Command Prompt will launch instead of the Sticky Keys window.
- At the command prompt, update the administrator password:
net user Administrator NewPassword
This has been tested on Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012 and 2012 R2.